Why do I believe that it is necessary to go to church?

Why do I believe that it is necessary to go to church? 

 A church is a family. We call each other brother and sister. . . We pray to Our Father who art in heaven. . . We have the same Papa. We are related by the blood which our Father shed for us, and by which our sins are washed away. . . We are related by our Father’s Spirit which lives inside of us. 

 I am a reasonably bright person, but it is said that a lawyer who represents himself, or a doctor who treats himself has a fool for a client or a patient. No matter how devout I may think myself, I cannot spiritually minister to myself. I need a pastor. . .I need a spiritual authority in my life. . . someone to speak into my life both encouragement and correction. . . someone to help me through life’s trials with Godly wisdom. 

 A pastor is a shepherd. A good shepherd devotes his life to his flock. He tends to his sheep. He can see when one is injured or ill or otherwise not acting right. A shepherd can see farther than the sheep. He knows where there is good water and good pasture. He can see dangers ahead long before the sheep become aware of them, and lead the flock to safety. A good pastor will tell you what you NEED to hear, more often than he’ll tell you what you want to hear. He will step on your toes on occasion. He will shine light on areas of your life that you would prefer to keep hidden. He will attack your pride. . . your laziness. . . your hardness of heart. . . your selfishness. . . your sinful nature. . . 

 A church is full of imperfect people, wanting to learn to live better. . . walking this walk together striving to live more righteous, more holy, more loving lives. We celebrate together. We mourn together. We pray together. We endure hardship together. We lift each other up in times of need. We learn together. 

 When the storm comes, the lone corn stalk will be blown down, while the field of corn which endures the same wind still stands. When the strong wind blows, as part of a church, we can lean on a brother or sister to help us withstand the wind. 

 Are there hypocrites in church? Are there people who can be unkind or rude?. . . Yep. . . I am there, and those words apply to me on occasion. I’m in church for God. Not for the music. Not to be entertained by fascinating stories eloquently spoken from the pulpit, not even for the pastor. I’m there to learn how to live a more pleasing life for God. . .How to draw closer to Him. I’m there to be ministered to, and not only to be spiritually fed myself, but to learn to more ably minister to others, to help feed and support others. . . 

 How do I find the right church? 

 Finding a church should not be like going to the shoe store, and trying on shoes. The right church is not the one that feels the most comfortable or looks the most fashionable. At times, you should feel uncomfortable in a church. It should pinch. It should convict. It should make you feel dissatisfied, and hunger for change. 

It is very easy to preach feel-good messages that inspire or entertain, but have no spiritual value to them. The Bible is God’s infallible Word. It was given to us, as His instructions to us. The Bible cannot be improved upon. Whatever man adds to or takes away from the doctrines given in the Bible takes away its strength. . . dilutes its divine purity. . . subverts its supreme authority. 

 The energy contained in a tank of gasoline will propel a 3000 lb vehicle 400 miles. Dilute that tank of gas with even a tiny bit of water and the vehicle will sputter and knock, and not have enough power to even make it around the block. 

 There is power in the unadulterated 100% pure Word of God. . . undiluted by councils, and history, and the traditions of men. With a watered down Word of God, the church becomes little different than a country club with a cross in front. 

Find a church that bases its doctrine solely upon the Word of God. 
Find a church that will love and accept anyone who walks through their doors. 
Find a church that believes that the pure power of God’s spirit living within you can transform, and completely free you from the bondage of sin. 

I need my church. . . 
I love my church. . . 
My church loves me. . . 

 I thank you God for my Pastor and my church

Dave 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Your Mother Dies. . .

Mother's Day 2007

How to Find a Great Church. . .