Prayer Walk 5-6-8

We are praying and walking up and down the streets of our city. I am posting these reports of what happens on our evenings of street ministry. I bought a Radio Flyer Wagon to pull along behind us as we walk. That is kind of our trademark for people to recognize us by.

Terry and I just had a wonderful night tonight. Nothing spectacular, no burning bushes or anything like that, but we just talked and prayed with so so many people. Terry knows so many people. Every week we meet numbers of people from Terry's past.

A little 82 year old day. I don't know why, but every week with the fliers and even since we first started praying in the neighborhood two years ago, I've gone around to her back door and left a flier. I never do that to any other house, but tonight we met her as she was shutting her garage door. She and Terry hugged and talked for quite a little bit. They used to work together years ago.

Melissa the lady who was baptized a couple of weeks ago. She and Terry know each other quite well. We ran into her on Aspenwald.

Another fellow from Terry's past acquaintance, in the apartments we talked with for a long time. Terry gave him a Bible and he was so very very appreciate. This man has lived in institutions most of his life and you can just tell craves human contact. He's probably 60 years old. A simple man. . . a very sweet spirit.

I don't know it seems like there were a couple of others, that just popped up and Terry had known them from times past. Terry said that this street ministry is one of the high points of his week. . . I absolutely agree. It is mine too.

We ran into Randy Glick, the fellow who organizes the Child Abuse memorial at the Civic Plaza. He requested we pray for someone named Derrick who is slipping back into gang activity.

We talked to a mother and daughter on their porch about God and church. She loves our afternoon service times. She plans on coming this weekend.

There was just big group of maybe 10-12 teen aged young men on a porch on Aspenwald. I gave them each fliers. One young man asked which church we were from. I told him. He said, "Wow, I've heard that's a really cool church."

We stopped and talked for a bit with Tina, the lady whose husband died a week or so ago. She had a bunch of kids and friends in her house. She saw us and opened her door and invited me in to chat for a bit. She is looking very good, well rested and recovering from her husband's death.

We prayed with a young man sitting in a lawn chair in the apartments. He wants God to give him wisdom and to direct his life.

Last week I had a problem with the kids gathering up my fliers in the apartments, but we had no problems with them this week. I was not quite sure how to handle that situation. They showed up and I just told them I would only give them handouts and cards if they didn't gather up the ones I was leaving at the doors. . . and they just said, "OK" and they held to their word.

At a couple of houses I was invited to look in the door and there were the fliers hanging up in the house. . .numbers of other said how much they appreciate them each week.

Zoe's husband David is not doing well. We prayed with her about the situation. (She's been to church and prayer walks a couple of times.) He has diabetes, bad circulation problems and COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). He had been hospitalized and just released. He insists on mowing his lawn. Zoe was very upset. He was almost done when he ran into a problem with the riding mower.. He had a little bit still to be done with the hand mower. I told Zoe I would take care of it in the next few days. I've got jail tomorrow night and something with the Sign Team Thursday night. I'll get to it Friday if I can. Any of the younger guys who happen to be doing yard work at LTC, if you have a chance, it's just a few doors down Middlebury ~ a brown shingle sided house with a crude ply-wood ramp leading up the front porch. I wouldn't think it would take more than 10-15 minutes to finish up the yard. Anyway, if anyone has a chance, it might minister to this family and maybe even save David's life. He surely has no business mowing.

A young woman walking requested prayer for her baby.

I met several ladies from the jail walking on Prairie Street. They wanted Bible verse cards and fliers.

Another lady, on Monroe, her brother has an addiction problem. Her husband was very negative toward us, but she followed me down the sidewalk a bit and asked if we could talk/minister to her brother. I told her to have him call the church and leave his number for me. I told her how Terry and I both had been delivered from a number of things and this type of request was exactly why we walked through the neighborhood.

I don't know lots of other stuff. . .a busy busy night. A wonderful night. . .

I ran out of fliers way before I usually do. We just talked to such a great number of people. I was just wonderful. . . a tremendous night.


Dave Stokely

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Your Mother Dies. . .

Mother's Day 2007