I Love My Dogs, as God Loves Me. . .



 Jackie and I's lives are full of dogs.  We have four.  We call them our fur-kids, and that is indeed what they are.  Our children are grown, and have their own lives.  We treasure our grandchildren, but weeks go by without our seeing them.  

After a lifetime of raising kids, our dogs fill a role formerly held by our children.  As Sarah, our goldendoodle rescue lay on my lap this afternoon, it dawns on me how my relationship with my dogs, in some ways mirrors God's relationship with us.

Our dogs can do nothing for us.  Some dogs are service dog, or guard dogs, or herding dogs, which perform important functions for their humans.  The only things our dogs do is love us, and if I might say, they worship us.  They are in great despair when we leave, and mightily celebrate when we return.

They want to be near us, and keep us in sight no matter where we are in the house. . . kitchen, bedroom, and yes even the toilet. . . if we are there, so there do they want to be.

What can they buy us or provide materially for us?  It is beyond their capacity or knowledge what to make or create or bring home to us.  Their love is all they have to offer.

We provide a warm home, clean water, abundant food, medical care.  We pick up after them, buy them toys, endlessly caress them, rub their bellies, scratch them in their favorite spots. 

When it's time for a nap or nighttime bed, they pile into the bedroom, crowding as close to us as they can get. . .

At times they are aggravating, annoying, destructive, exasperating beyond our patience. . . and we continue to love them.

So it is with God. . . What can I do for Him beyond offer him my obedience and love?  I know that I, a thousand times try His patience, and yet He continues to love and provide for me. . . NEVER giving up on me. . . NEVER turning His back on me, even when my back was turned toward Him.

This thought brings much comfort to me. . . I believe it helps me understand the mind and heart of God.  Our dogs are so far below us in their abilities, and knowledge, and intelligence, but none of that lessens our love for them. . . All these things mirror our relationship with God. . . 

I love our dogs. . . 

I love You my God. . . 

Help me love you more perfectly. . . 

Dave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Measurement Standard. . .

Walnut in the Woodpile. . .

Mother's Day 2007