Christianity. . . a crutch for the lame. . .

Recently I was reading a forum entry on the Internet, where someone asked the question, “Why all the hate expressed toward Jesus?” One of the responses, justifying the attitude of hatred toward Jesus and Christianity in general, was the following statement, “Christianity is a crutch for the lame.” My first reaction to anyone attacking my Lord, is for the hair to rise on the back of my neck, and to begin to form a response in my mind. . . but this statement beyond my initial rejection of it, I believe I would have to heartily agree with. . .


Christianity. . .or more properly not Christianity the institution, but the doctrine preached by our Lord Jesus Christ is indeed a crutch for the lame. . . and I give thanks to you my God for that crutch.


A crutch is a tool that allows one disabled by their physical defect to regain their feet. . .allows one destined to be mired in the roadside dust, to participate and to contribute productively to the world rather than to forever beg from the filth at the side of the road.


Our pride rebels at the thought of being called lame or disabled, but that is indeed what sin does to us. When in our sin, we are hobbled by its chains, unable to be of full benefit to our families, to our employers. . . to the world at large.


This metaphor falls short, in that when a lame man is given a crutch, he indeed is able now to walk, but he is not in a full sense completely restored to a healthful condition. He can never put down his crutch without stopping all his movement. I am dependent upon Christ. . . upon His grace. . . upon His mercy. . . upon His strength. . . His love and kindness. . . but not in the same way as a lame man needs his crutch. I have freedom in a way that the lame man will never know. I can walk away from the Lord with full mobility. . . as rapidly as I choose. . . thereby leaving my ‘crutch’ behind.


I most willingly carry the Lord with me, never wanting to lay Him down. . . never dreaming of desiring to part ways with Him. . . More than a crutch. . . we walk hand in hand along life’s path. . . I along His path and He along my path, at other times when I choose a way not perfectly in His will, but still He is with me. Allowing me, to choose a road with dangerous crevasses. . . a path of my own making, not leading me closer to a holy objective. . .but He stays with me. . . guiding me, when His light shines upon my feet and I see that I have strayed . . . then guiding me back to the High way. . .never leaving nor forsaking me. . . even in times of my foolishness. . .


Yes. . . Christianity is indeed a crutch for the lame. . . it is sight for the blind. . . hearing for the deaf. . . healing for the ill. . . A pardon to all those imprisoned by sin and by it therefore sentenced to die. . .


Thank you my Lord. . .
Thank you my Savior. . .
I love you God. . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Your Mother Dies. . .

Mother's Day 2007