Philippians 4:8



Working on my notes for our Wednesday morning Bible study, Matthew chapter 15.

I was struck by this passage:

Matthew 15:15 (NKJV) Then Peter answered and said to Him, "Explain this parable to us." 16 So Jesus said, "Are you also still without understanding? 17 Do you not yet understand that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and is eliminated?

There is a natural process of intake, digestion, and elimination for physical food.  That which is nutritious is retained.  That which is indigestible is passed through and eliminated.

Matthew 15:18 (NKJV) But those things which proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and they defile a man.19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies. 20 These are the things which defile a man, but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile a man."

Things taken in by our ears, and eyes have no similar process of elimination.  They are retained, and become part of our memories, and are not easily eliminated.

First responders. . . soldiers of war. . .have huge suicide rates due to those things they have seen and experienced, which cannot be expelled, and eventually overcome them and lead them to despair.

We must be very protective of what enters our mind.  I refuse to watch ‘horror’ movies or other violent/bloody/sexual/occult/dark media.  I don’t want those things becoming part of me and effecting my mind.  I have trouble reading about great cruelty.  I will often skip a passage in a book or story if I find it too disturbing.

Philippians 4:8 (NKJV) Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

I don't want to hear about evil hate-filled things. . .I don't want to dwell on politically polarizing and inflaming issues.  I don't want to have reasons to hate, instilled within me.

John Coffey from the movie -  "Green Mile":

"I'm tired of all the pain I feel and hear in the world everyday. There's too much of it. It's like pieces of glass in my head all the time. Can you understand?"

I identify with his feelings.  We are so cruel to one another, but I don't have to let that be the focus of my life. . . 

I've been called a Pollyanna. . .and that is probably a fair description of me. . . I say it again:

Philippians 4:8 (NKJV) Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

I love You my God. . .

You are my Lord. . .

Create in me clean heart, O God, 

and renew a right spirit within me. . . 

Dave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Measurement Standard. . .

Walnut in the Woodpile. . .

When Your Mother Dies. . .