Jehovah-Elyon

Lord Most High

Psalms 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.

Psalms 47:2 For the LORD most high is terrible; he is a great King over all the earth.


Psalms 97:9 For thou, LORD, art high above all the earth: thou art exalted far above all gods.


A long time ago, I had a couple of cats. They spent a lot of time outside and I kept a food dish on the porch for them. At certain times of the year, in the warm humid evenings, these large slugs would come out and eat the cat food from the bowl. These were big slugs. I don't know, maybe the cat food made them grow extra large. If I remember right, they were about two inches long.

This was years and years ago, maybe twenty-five year ago. I don't know why I first thought of it, but now whenever I begin to feel like I'm something, I think of those slugs. I remember looking down at them. I am so much more capable than they. I can think such great thoughts and do such wonderful things. In lots of ways they are kind of gross. They leave slime where ever they go. The have mouths with which they ate the cat food and right about where your and my ear would be (in relationship to their mouth), they excrete their feces. Cat food going in the mouth and coming out just a few millimeters away as waste, man-oh-man. . . I'm surely above that. . .

I think of standing on my porch watching the slugs munching Kibbles-and-Bits, and then I see the perspective change from the porch, to rapidly zooming into the air. Until slug, me, the porch, my house. . . the whole city disappears to a whole earth perspective and it still isn't done. . . earth, moon, solar system sun galaxy all recede into the infinite cosmos. . . . to the view of God. This is His perspective, the Most High God.

Most High is an elevation above everything else. . . I think myself so superior to that slug. I can do so much that he cannot. . . Now I have a peek at the perspective of God, but you know that's not the perspective of God. God's perspective is every perspective in the universe. He sees every sunset, every sunrise, every rainbow, every infinitesimal droplet of water that makes a rainbow, every hurricane, every raindrop, every puff of wind that makes a hurricane in it's totality, every grain of sand on every beach of the world. . . on every world. . .from every perspective there is. He is present in every man, woman, and child's every waking and every sleeping moment. He sees every tear, hears every prayer, feels every hurt and rejoices in every triumph. What about the animals. He cares about and feeds the little sparrows and by extension all the rest of the animal kingdom. . . yes. . . yes. . . yes. . . He does. . .God even cares about slugs. . . .

The difference between me and the slug is far less than the difference between God and I. From God's perspective, from His capabilities, from His vantage point we are both creations of His, as the Psalmist said, Why does He even care about man at all?

Psalms 8:3-4 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?


It is utter foolishness to even consider He and I to be in anyway similar and yet we are said to be made in his image. . . . That is an accurate metaphor. An image lacks a dimension of what it represents. . . you and I have the barest similarities to God, but we lack the infinitude (the omniscience, the omnipresence, the omnipotence) of God. I take a picture of you and print it on an 8"x10" sheet of paper. How is that picture on the paper like you? It is an image of you in two dimensions. You are recognizable in the image, but the image lacks so much that is you. It lacks the third dimension that is you.

Our God, He is the most high God and He loves you and I. . . and even the lowly little slugs. . .

Thank you Lord. . .

Dave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Your Mother Dies. . .

Mother's Day 2007