Dancing with babies. . .

1 Corinthians 2:11-16

For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. (12) Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. (13) Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. (14) But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. (15) But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man. (16) For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.


I can personally attest to how much truth there is in the verse, "the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him." I clearly remember how I viewed the foolishness of Christianity and the foolishness of everything associated with God. I would curse at the television when I stumbled across an evangelist while channel surfing. I chuckled to myself when I watched my wife pray to a God that I knew did not exist. I have truly been given a new mind. . . old things have passed away and all things are become new. Now I find something that is beyond description, is dancing before the Lord and worshipping Him while holding my grandchildren. I find a joy and satisfaction in that beyond anything I've ever known. A couple of years ago, soon after he was born, we began bringing one of my grandsons to church. He is a little older now and usually wants to stand on his own, but his little sister loves being held by her grandpa as we worship and sing every Sunday afternoon. The love for Him in my worship and the love for my Granddaughter get all mixed up and blended together as I dance and sing before Him. I feel the glow and closeness of God's love, the warmth of my little granddaughter's body nestled in my arms, the joy and happiness flowing from me to her to Him and back again. This may sound funny, but in some way's, it's almost like I'm holding God and hugging and caressing Him while I worship with my granddaughter in my arms.

I get hugs from God all the time. He lets me know that He is near in little ways all day long, but until now I never really knew of a way to hug Him back. To hold this wonderfully warm little miracle child in my arms, caressing. . . protecting. . . holding. . . hugging. . . dancing with her in the crescendo of many voices raised in adoration of God, people crying out, worshipping Him. It's magical.

You know, when I think about it, that's really what I'm supposed to be doing all the time, loving God by loving the people around me. I'm not very good at it much of the time. For a little while though, for a few minutes on a Sunday afternoon. . . God, a little girl child and I, bask in our great love for each other as we dance a perfect dance.

Thank you God for my grandchildren. Thank you for forgiving my foolishness. Thank You for love filled Sunday afternoons filled with your presence. . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Your Mother Dies. . .

Mother's Day 2007