Principles of Christian Faith. . .

I do our church’s street sign message. I spend much time praying for God to give me the words He would like to see displayed there. Sometimes several weeks will go by with nothing coming to my mind, and I begin to worry and fret. . .

Thinking about this, this morning it comes to my mind, that the Bible’s message has not changed in 2000 years. Man’s interpretation of that message has changed at times. In the past men have twisted the words and selectively used the words of the Bible to try to bend them into all manner of their own beliefs, and men continue that practice unabated today, but the mere fact that men have corrupted God’s message, that does not demean or diminish the message of the Bible itself.

Below I have selected some of the foundational principles of the Bible:

1.The Word of God is divinely inspired and therefore perfect: 2 Timothy 3:16-17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: (17) That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

2 There is one and only one God: Deuteronomy 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:

3.We are to love God with everything we have and likewise love our fellow man: Deuteronomy 6:5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. Matthew 22:39 . . .Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

4. God requires obedience: Deuteronomy 7:9 Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;

5. Avoid and despise evil: Proverbs 8:13 The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

6. There are consequences for sin: Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death. . .

7. Sin creates a debt, which must be paid for with a sacrifice: Leviticus 4:26 And he shall burn all his fat upon the altar, as the fat of the sacrifice of peace offerings: and the priest shall make an atonement for him as concerning his sin, and it shall be forgiven him.

8. Jesus lived His entire life without sin, and was put to death, thereby becoming an acceptable sacrifice for our sins: 1 Peter 2:21-22 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: (22) Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:

9. By accepting Christ as the payment for our sins, by repenting and taking His name, our sins can be forgiven and the Spirit of God can then live within us: Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

10. There is only one way for man to attain salvation: Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am THE way, THE truth, and THE life: NO man cometh unto the Father, but by me. John 10:9 I am THE door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.


Common fallacies:

1. You can get into heaven by merely doing good: Romans 4:3-5 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. (4) Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. (5) But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

2. All you have to do is believe and If you believe, then you don’t have to quit sinning: Matthew 7:21-23 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. (22) Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? (23) And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

3. As a Christian you do not need to do good things. Belief alone is enough: James 2:17-18 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. (18) Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

4. You can be a Christian without being fanatical about it: Revelation 3:14-16 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; (15) I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. (16) So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.


Things to remember:

1. It’s all about love. God loves us. . . all of us, even before we come to Him, and therefore we are to return His love for us back to Him, and to our fellow man: 1 John 4:7-11 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. (8) He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. (9) In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. (10) Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. (11) Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.

2. God’s way is perfect. No one at the end of the day, can point a finger at God and justly accuse Him of being unrighteous: Psalms 18:30 As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him.

3.We do not understand everything. It is possible to ask questions that no one has an entirely satisfactory answer for. I have found answers for most of the questions that I had as an atheist, but there are still things I do not understand. . . questions I don’t have the answer for. . . Today as opposed to the past, rather than assuming that I am superior, and that God is the fool. . . I admit that there are things I don’t know and I have faith that there are good answers for my questions, which are due entirely to my lack of understanding. . . : 1 Corinthians 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.



Matthew 7:17-20
Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. (18) A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. (19) Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. (20) Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

For more than 40 years, I sat in the shade of an unrighteous tree. It was a tree of the flesh. Daily I ate of the fruits of it. This corrupt fruit solely fed the flesh, and starved the spirit. . . I have now found a different tree under which to reside, and the fruit of which is sweet and satisfying beyond anything I have ever before tasted.


Galatians 5:19-23
Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, (20) Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, (21) Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. (22) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, (23) Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.


I give you great and undying thanks my God. . .
Thank you for everything You have done for me. . .
<3 br=""> Dave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Your Mother Dies. . .

Mother's Day 2007