Beware of the Leaven. . .



Mark 8:15
And he charged them, saying,
Take heed, beware of the leaven of the Pharisees,
and of the leaven of Herod.


In a team meeting at work this morning, it powerfully struck me the responsibility I carry as a leader. The realization came to me that to be an effective leader, I must both understand, and utilize the power of position. For a leader especially attitudes are contagious. . . in battle a lowly foot soldier can be overcome by fear and panic with little ill effect, but if the same feeling of terror visibly overtakes a general or a captain, all other things being equal the battle may well be lost solely for this reason. Negative attitudes can move like a disease from the leader to the entire team, like a disease passing from one to another, infecting each with a sickness of the spirit. . . Bitterness. . .cynicism. . .skepticism. . .resentment. . . unforgiveness. . .greed. . .blame laying. . . anger. . . fear. . .panic. . . depression. . .despair can easily flow downhill from the leader to the team . .


But it is surely not only negative attitudes which may be passed from leader to team. It is with certainty, that positive attitudes may also be transmitted. Cooperation, helpfulness, generosity, understanding. . . forgiveness can also pervade an organization by the atmosphere created by leadership.


Continuing to ponder upon this, this morning, there are parallels here I think. The Biblical description of our role as Christians, is that we are to be first and foremost followers of Christ. . . but in turn we are each, to also be leaders. . . teachers. . . witnesses. . . sources of light in the darkness. . . bubbling springs of refreshing, life giving water to others, and as such we have great responsibilities. People cannot see Jesus, but they can see us, and therefore our behavior. . . our attitudes then as “Christ-ians” is taken as reflective and representative of Christ.


It’s not fair. . . we don’t in any way ask for or deserve that comparison, but that is the reality of people’s perceptions. I don’t proclaim Christ as my Savior for my perfection, but for my imperfections. . .not for my power, but for my weakness. . . If there is hope in Christ. . . If there is power in living for God, then to be a witness for Him, I must demonstrate that hope and power. . . .If ours is a God of love and forgiveness, then I must be a strong and bright reflection of that same love and forgiveness. . .


I love you my God. . .
Thank you my Lord. . .


<3 br="">

Dave








Comments

Anonymous said…
My spouse and I stumbled over here from a different web page and thought I
might as well check things out. I like what I see so now i'm
following you. Look forward to exploring your web
page again.
Anonymous said…
Everyone loves it when folks get together and share thoughts.
Great site, stick with it!

Popular posts from this blog

When Your Mother Dies. . .

Mother's Day 2007