Meditations on God's Word. . . 2015-04-18





I drove over 1200 miles over the last week, on my recent trip to Ontario for business. As is my usual practice, on the dashboard of the car, I have Rex Humbard’s book, Personal Promises From God’s Word.

http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Promises-Gods-Word-Humbard/dp/B0006YN2JQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1429398469&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=rex+humbolt+bible+verses

This book has quite a number of sections, with Bible passages arranged in various topics. . .verses for when you are afraid, or sad or lonely, etc. etc. etc.

So what I do is, I choose a passage, and I chew on it. . . I meditate on it. . . I pray on it as the hundreds of miles of my journey pass by. The section of verse that I chose this last week was:


Proverbs 3:1-2
My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments: For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee.

First noticed. . . my son. Written with an affectionate warmth. . . Not an edict from a cold, and unfeeling king. . . not a harsh commandment from an anonymous rule maker, but a kindly gentle reminder: My son, forget not my Law. You know this law, but do not misplace it. This law is familiar and known to you. It is your father’s law. Your father who loves you, and only wants the best for you. . . It is His Law.

But let thine heart keep my commandments. . . Your father believes that your wish, your desire is to be obedient. . . He encourages you to allow this side to prevail.

For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee.

It appears that the first 2 phrases: length of days and long life are repetitious, but looking at the Hebrew the first phrase, ‘length of days’ does mean to live a life of many years, but the second phrase, ‘long life’, seems to have more of a meaning of having a life of vitality and vigor up to the very end.

We see this in the description of Moses life:


Deuteronomy 34:7
And Moses was an hundred and twenty years old when he died: his eye was not dim, nor his natural force abated.

He maintained his energy and virility up to his last days . .


All of these three are necessary for a life of fulfillment. A life of long years. . . A full life of mental and physical capacity. . . and a life of peace. If any one of these attributes are missing, then a life would not be a life of full blessing.

Looking at the reverse of this passage, following the Law, keeping God’s commandments does nothing for God, but is solely for our benefit. . .a long life. . . a life of strength and vigor. . . a life of peace is the consequence of a life of obedience to God’s law, and submission to Him as your Father and King.

Everything we see in life, supports both the premises and promises of this passage. . .

Over 1200 miles. . . well over 20 hours of meditation on this passage, and my spiritual weapon. . . the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God. . . my offensive weapon has gained another well sharpened cutting edge. . .


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Your Mother Dies. . .

Mother's Day 2007