A Question With No Wrong Answers. . .

Often I start my meetings at the jail with a question to the men, “Why are you at this meeting. . .What did you come looking for at this meeting tonight. . .” Several years ago a fellow confided to me that he had first come to a church meeting in the jail for the express purpose trying to steal a pen. He was touched by the Lord that evening and was later baptized in Jesus name. I saw him again several years later and he was still living for the Lord. His walk with the Lord began with his sinful desire to come to a church service and steal a pen.

My first visit to a church, over ten years ago now, was to say thank you to the church that had prayed for me during my then recent heart surgery. I had no desire to learn more of God. I had no interest in worship or holiness or repenting of my sinful lifestyle. I came through the church doors, that first Sunday of June 2000 only to say thanks for an act of kindness that I did not even believe in.

Recently our church had a block party in our parking lot with free popcorn, cotton candy and hot dogs. There were blowup activities for the kids, music, games and prizes. Most of the people came for one reason, to have fun, but at these block parties, many hearts have been touched and many lives eternally changed by the power of God regardless of the original motivation. . .

I’ve never heard a wrong reason for coming to a church service. Girls come for cute boys. Boys come for pretty girls. Many come for beautiful singing, or to see grandchild be promoted from one Sunday School class to another. What ever reason brings a person before God, and puts them in a position to hear the Word of God preached has the potential to touch their heart and change their life for eternity. There is no wrong answer to the question, “Why did you come to church today?”

But it being said, that there is no wrong reason for coming to church, on the flip side of it there is only one right reason for coming to church. Our primary, above all other reasons for coming to church, must be. . .must be. . .must be to develop and deepen our relationship with God. We must move from what ever initially brought us to church, to a point where the only reason we are there is for developing our relationship with God.

If we are in church primarily for the music, then someday we will be disappointed when a new choir director comes and changes the style of worship music. If we are in church mainly for the fellowship and friends we have there, then someday we will have a falling out with someone or someone will be rude to us and or a friend will stop going to church and where will we be???. . .If we attend church for the love of our pastor and the anointing of his preaching. . .someday he will retire or move to another church or leave the profession and where will we be???

The only reason for attending church which will never diminish or let us down, is our hunger and desire to draw closer to God.

If my hunger is for God, in spite of my private feelings about the choir’s song selection, I will find a way to worship.
If my hunger is for God, in spite of who is preaching and whatever the weaknesses of their style or delivery, I will find a way to feed on the Word of God in any message given by the anointed Man of God.
If my hunger is for God, I will not be distracted by issues with others in the congregation. I will stay above personal controversies and seek God’s face no matter what else happens. . .
If my hunger is for God, I will not allow envy or pride to create disunity and thereby allow bitterness grow in my heart, for how others are being used in the church. . .
If my hunger truly is for God, I will not allow anything to distract me from my quest grow closer to Him every day. . .

I love you my God. . .
I love you my Lord. . .

I pray to keep my eyes focused solely upon you. . .
I hunger for you. . .
I hunger to see your face. . .

Thank you my God. . .

Dave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Your Mother Dies. . .

Mother's Day 2007