Jehovah-Kabodhi

Lord my Glory - Psalm 3:3

Psalms 3
1 A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son. LORD, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me.
2 Many there be which say of my soul, There is no help for him in God. Selah.
3 But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.
4 I cried unto the LORD with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah.
5 I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the LORD sustained me.
6 I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about.
7 Arise, O LORD; save me, O my God: for thou hast smitten all mine enemies upon the cheek bone; thou hast broken the teeth of the ungodly.
8 Salvation belongeth unto the LORD: thy blessing is upon thy people. Selah.


This is a compound name that has taken me some time to understand. I have been studying and meditating on this one for several days. A little while ago I awoke with my mind full of scriptures and new understanding. . . Thank you Lord!!!

It has been difficult for me to understand, to comprehend what God being 'my glory' means. Here is the Strong's entry for the word:

H3519
כּבד כּבוד
kâbôd kâbôd
kaw-bode',
kaw-bode'
From H3513; properly weight; but only figuratively in a good sense, splendor or copiousness: - glorious (-ly), glory, honour (-able).

So this word translated as glory is a physical characteristic or dimension, weight, used in a figurative sense. God is beyond us. He has characteristics that we cannot comprehend. We cannot bring our minds to understand how an attribute that has no apparent substance, like His glory, can have a physical structure or presence, but with God it does:

1 Kings 8:10-11 And it came to pass, when the priests were come out of the holy place, that the cloud filled the house of the LORD, (11) So that the priests could not stand to minister because of the cloud: for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of the LORD.

I cannot tell you what this means. All I have are the words written in the Bible. I have no first hand knowledge of this, but the word translated as 'glory' first means weight. . . "so that the priests could not stand to minister because of the cloud, for the glory of the Lord had filled the house. . ." Glory so substantial, so thick that you cannot stand in its presence.

I've never been in the presence of a king or queen. Maybe the closest, for me, is being in the military. When you are on a military base and in uniform, you must keep a watchful eye out for general officers. Their vehicles are denoted by a little flag on the front with number of stars on it of the general riding in the vehicle. Whatever you are doing, you must stop and salute that vehicle as it passes. This is no joke. It is a great risk to just pretend that you did not notice a general passing. It is not at all unknown for such a vehicle carrying a general to stop and the officer riding therein to get out and make, whoever was so unfortunate as to have not noticed his or her passing, not only wish that they had not overlooked the passing of that vehicle, but to wish for a season that they had not been born. . . In the military you must give honor. . . you must. . . you are required to bend the knee so to speak in the presence of a superior. . . . but even at that it is a voluntary action.

It appears that the glory of God is so substantitive that it is not voluntary, but physically impossible to do otherwise. Remember the New Testament words:

Romans 14:11For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

This is not idle boasting by God. This is what men do in His presence:

Genesis 17:3 And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying,
Genesis 17:17 Then Abraham fell upon his face, and laughed, and said in his heart, Shall a child be born unto him that is a hundred years old? and shall Sarah, that is ninety years old, bear?
Numbers 16:4 And when Moses heard it, he fell upon his face:
Numbers 22:31 Then the LORD opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and he bowed down his head, and fell flat on his face.
Joshua 5:14 And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my lord unto his servant?
Ezekiel 1:28 As the appearance of the bow that is in the cloud in the day of rain, so was the appearance of the brightness round about. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. And when I saw it, I fell upon my face, and I heard a voice of one that spoke.
Ezekiel 3:23 Then I arose, and went forth into the plain: and, behold, the glory of the LORD stood there, as the glory which I saw by the river of Chebar: and I fell on my face.
Ezekiel 9:8 And it came to pass, while they were slaying them, and I was left, that I fell upon my face, and cried, and said, Ah Lord GOD! wilt thou destroy all the residue of Israel in thy pouring out of thy fury upon Jerusalem?
Ezekiel 11:13 And it came to pass, when I prophesied, that Pelatiah the son of Benaiah died. Then fell I down upon my face, and cried with a loud voice, and said, Ah Lord GOD! wilt thou make a full end of the remnant of Israel?
Ezekiel 43:3-4 And it was according to the appearance of the vision which I saw, even according to the vision that I saw when I came to destroy the city: and the visions were like the vision that I saw by the river Chebar; and I fell upon my face. And the glory of the LORD came into the house by the way of the gate whose prospect is toward the east.
Ezekiel 44:4 Then brought he me the way of the north gate before the house: and I looked, and, behold, the glory of the LORD filled the house of the LORD: and I fell upon my face.
Daniel 8:17 So he came near where I stood: and when he came, I was afraid, and fell upon my face: but he said unto me, Understand, O son of man: for at the time of the end shall be the vision.
Matthew 17:5-6 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him. (6) And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid.
Luke 5:12 And it came to pass, when he was in a certain city, behold a man full of leprosy: who seeing Jesus fell on his face, and besought him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean.
Luke 17:15-18 And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God, (16) And fell down on his face at his feet, giving him thanks: and he was a Samaritan. (17) And Jesus answering said, Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine? (18) There are not found that returned to give glory to God, save this stranger.
Revelation 1:17-18 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: (18) I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive forevermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

It appears to me that if we are striving to get into the presence of God, if we want to see the glory of God we'd better get on our knees, the less likely to break our noses in the fall to our faces when He appears. . .

OK, I see these things, but how can God be my glory as our verse says:

Paslm3:3
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.

This word is found some 201 times in 190 different Old Testament verses. It is interesting that most often when the word is used in association with God it is translated as 'glory' (162 times) and when the word is used in association with a man, it is translated 'honor' (39 times):

Genesis 49:6
O my soul, come not thou into their secret; unto their assembly, mine honor, be not thou united: for in their anger they slew a man, and in their self-will they digged down a wall.

Numbers 24:11
Therefore now flee thou to thy place: I thought to promote thee unto great honor; but, lo, the LORD hath kept thee back from honor.

1 Kings 3:13
And I have also given thee that which thou hast not asked, both riches, and honor: so that there shall not be any among the kings like unto thee all thy days.

1 Chronicles 17:18
What can David speak more to thee for the honor of thy servant? for thou knowest thy servant.


Notice the following passage:

1 Chronicles 29:10-13
Wherefore David blessed the LORD before all the congregation: and David said, Blessed be thou, LORD God of Israel our father, forever and ever. (11) Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all. (12) Both riches and honor come of thee, and thou reignest over all; and in thine hand is power and might; and in thine hand it is to make great, and to give strength unto all. (13) Now therefore, our God, we thank thee, and praise thy glorious name.

David says that riches, (meaning: great worth and abundance in a material sense) and honor, (meaning: great worth and value and dignity or respect in a sense of character and reputation and renown) both come from God. What ever we have as far as physical riches comes from God and whatever worth we have in our own personal worth and character also comes from God.

Our verse:

Paslm3:3
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.

now begins to make more sense to me. Rather than 'glory', let us say that my 'honor' or my dignity comes from God. I have greatly sinned in the past. The only reason that I can hold my head up and not be ashamed is from Him. . . He is "the lifter up of mine head". . . He has forgiven me for the things that I have done.

As a grandparent, I get after my grandson. I chastise him for something he has done. He is upset and cries at my rebuke. He is disappointed with himself at letting me down. I put my hand under his chin and lift his face to mine. . . "It's OK. . . I forgive you. . . lift your eyes. . . you are forgiven. . .I hug him. . ." This is what David is telling us that God did for him. David disappointed God, but God forgave him and lifted up his head to again have honor and respectability. God gave him his dignity back. He was once again able to look himself in the mirror without being overcome with his sin and worthlessness. . .

I need you Jehovah-Kabodhi.
I was so low in my day of shame. . .
I needed my honor, my dignity to be restored.
I thank you for lifting up my head.
I thank you for allowing me to escape my deserved punishment. . .
I thank you for forgiving me.

I love you my God. . .

Dave Stokely


Reference Section:

Genesis 31:1; 45:13; 49:6;
Exodus 16:7, 10; 24:16, 17; 28:2, 40; 29:43; 33:18, 22; 40:34, 35;
Leviticus 9:6, 23;
Numbers 14:10, 21, 22; 16:19, 42; 20:6; 24:11;
Deuteronomy 5:24;
Joshua 7:19;
1 Samuel 2:8; 4:21, 22; 6:5;
1 Kings 3:13; 8:11;
1 Chronicles 16:24, 28, 29; 17:18; 29:12, 28;
2 Chronicles 1:11, 12; 5:14; 7:1, 2, 3; 17:5; 18:1; 26:18; 32:27, 33;
Nehemiah 9:5;
Esther 1:4; 5:11;
Job 19:9; 29:20;
Psalms 3:3; 4:2; 7:5; 8:5; 16:9; 19:1; 21:5; 24:7, 8, 9, 10; 26:8; 29:1, 2, 3, 9; 30:12; 49:16, 17; 57:5, 8, 11; 62:7; 63:2; 66:2; 72:19; 73:24; 79:9; 84:11; 85:9; 96:3, 7, 8; 97:6; 102:15, 16; 104:31; 106:20; 108:1, 5; 112:9; 113:4; 115:1; 138:5; 145:5, 11, 12; 149:5;
Proverbs 3:16, 35; 8:18; 11:16; 15:33; 18:12; 20:3; 21:21; 22:4; 25:2, 27; 26:1, 8; 29:23;
Ecclesiastes 6:2; 10:1;
Isaiah 3:8; 4:2, 5; 5:13; 6:3; 8:7; 10:3, 16, 18; 11:10; 14:18; 16:14; 17:3, 4; 21:16; 22:18, 23, 24; 24:23; 35:2; 40:5; 42:8, 12; 43:7; 48:11; 58:8; 59:19; 60:1, 2, 13; 61:6; 62:2; 66:11, 12, 18, 19;
Jeremiah 2:11; 13:16; 14:21; 17:12; 48:18;
Ezekiel 1:28; 3:12, 23; 8:4; 9:3; 10:4, 18, 19; 11:22, 23; 31:18; 39:21; 43:2, 4, 5; 44:4;
Daniel 11:39;
Hosea 4:7; 9:11; 10:5;
Micah 1:15;
Nahum 2:9;
Habakkuk 2:14, 16;
Haggai 2:3, 7, 9;
Zechariah 2:5, 8;
Malachi 1:6; 2:2;

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Your Mother Dies. . .

Mother's Day 2007